It has been a year since I've graduated college.
A whole year in "the real world" and I'm not where I thought I'd be at all. :)
I visited MD this weekend and on the way home from my trip I was lucky enough to ride with my little Lizzie. I think that the greater part of the ride we talked about getting older and how things are just NOT the same anymore.
For example:
Physically, I am just not the same anymore. Parts of my body which I never thought to take care of, are hurting, aching and just not working right.
I'm gaining weight in a new and different pace. I have to watch what I eat and exercise more than I've ever had to...well, I just never did before.
I may have arthritis and that freaks me out, because that's something I thought only grandparents dealt with. Ouch.
-vitamin supplements
-orthotics
-back supports
-knee pads
-medication
(Sounds sooo hip!)
I feel like sleeping more than I ever have before. Around 11pm I'm thinking, "wow, it's late. I should go to bed." Who would have thought that I'd ever think of going to bed that early? not me.
I think about the future a lot. Not so much about my 'settling down' but more about the things I am doing now and the effects they will have on me later down the road. What habits am I forming that I need to be careful about...cause as I've always been told by grown-ups, "There are consequences to your actions." Who knew? They were right. Lizzie and I talked about this in the context of the above mentioned physical ailments, but also in terms of children. Not only our future kids, but also we and our siblings as kids, and our parents whose actions and choices shaped who we are now; Choices about where to move and when to move, what schools to send your kids, what clothes to dress them in (or let them dress themselves), what to let them watch, what decisions to include them in, what to talk to them about. It seems like a lot of pressure to guide and make decisions for children, knowing that there ARE indeed, consequences to each decision that is made.
...I think this is "responsibility": Knowing the great challenge ahead, taking risks and owning up to every victory and mistake made.
I love my little Lizzie.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
that sounds like too much to think about. i say forget the worrying. its all about what comes about from the actions. like you said in the end 'own up to every victory and mistake made' i like that.
ESTHER!
nonsense, you're only 24 years old... if you were an NFL wide reciever you wouldn't have even reached the physical prime of your career! (usually around 28).
in the grand scheme of age, you're not a baby anymore, but you're still REALLY young!
at first I thought you said 'gaining weight in a new and different PLACE' and I was wondering where it was.
Anna: on my knees. :)
p.s. I am SOO young!
I had the same thought as Anna at first.
Also, i have been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope you and the girls are able to get back on your feet steadily and with much strength. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is ANYTHING at all that I can do--I may be a state away, but that is never too far for a dear friend.
i also thought you were gaining weight in a new place. i considered how that new place for me is my stomach, but that's not new at all. and i thought, esther wouldn't use "new place" as a euphemism for stomach. then i read anna's comment and alexis's comment.
i'm glad i'm not alone.
Post a Comment